Thursday, December 25, 2008

Monkeys, Monkeys Everywhere!

This was the decoy.


A little bit of background is necessary before I continue...

Animal themes are one way my family has fun. Dad is all about cats. Allison got assigned frogs. I got cows (better than frogs? um, no, so I changed it to Mickey Mouse as soon as I could.) When they were really young, Jeff used to be dogs. Katherine used to be ducks. These animals show up all the time in some form in birthday and Christmas presents (which is why I needed to change to Mickey Mouse because really, what can you do with a bunch of random cows?)

Well, by the time Katherine left for her mission to Brazil, she had outgrown the duck theme and it was time for another animal. What would be more appropriate for a Brazilian missionary than MONKEYS?! I took it upon myself to include something monkey-related in every package I sent to Brazil. You would be very surprised at how many things have monkeys on them: pencils, pens, stationery, socks, bookmarks, pajamas, and the list goes on. I had no idea I would find monkeys in so many places and on so many things. I never really went out shopping specifically for monkey "stuff" but I always managed to find things here and there, never when I was expecting it. (Now that you know this, you're going to start seeing monkey stuff everywhere.)

The Christmas right after Katherine came home from her mission, I thought it would be really funny to stuff her stocking with monkeys... I mean really fill it, up to the top and overflowing. You would not believe the crazy kinds of monkeys I found in that pursuit... it was totally fun, not to mention funny when she saw all of the monkeys!

Well, the monkey theme has continued, and this year Katherine picked her theme for the entire year to be "The Year of the Monkeys"--she's still not really sure what that theme means, but it's significant nevertheless. This year she and I spent Christmas eve together and exchanged gifts. I'm sure she suspected that she would get a monkey from me, as she usually does in some form. And, after all, this was her "year of the monkeys." So, I put the decoy monkey on the top of one of her gifts. Heh, heh, heh.... Here she is decked out in her Christmas monkey pj's, which she had been very excited to show me (and they were pretty darn cute and oh so funny! and I didn't even buy them for her.)


She had no idea that inside the box there were four more monkeys!!! Watching her open the gift was great--truly one of my favorite memories of Christmas.

It's gifts like these that make Christmas fun and memorable. Don't the pictures just make you smile? :)

So, decoy flying monkey, good job! Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

Kathy Varga,  December 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

Some kid sisters get decked out in bright pink lipstick and high heeled shoes that are way too big for them...nope, not me.