Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Bells are Ringing

Some of the the Christmas traditions I like best are those involving music, and last year I was so busy with school, December nearly passed me by without my being able to celebrate the season with as much as a fa la la! Determined not to let that happen again this year, I rejoined Sister Robinson's handbell choir and carved out time on Wednesday evenings for rehearsal. I would play bells all year long if I could. They're a lot of fun. I especially enjoy them because you can see the uplifting effect they have on the audience, something you can't or don't always perceive as a performer. People's countenances actually change. It's neat.

This year I even convinced Katherine (my sister) to drive from the other side of town to practice with the group. I think she was skeptical at first, but I think she's been won over, too! This year we performed at the temple, at a retirement home, and at a few different church services. My favorite performance was the retirement home because we added some traditional carols to our repertoire and the audience sang along. They were great fun! (And a grateful group, too.) Handbells are cool. They're interesting, challenging, and a little bit different from the norm. If you're the curious sort who might be interested in seeing one of our performances, check out the video on Facebook.

1 comments:

remi December 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

how fun! I wish I would have known about the temple performance! I would have LOVED being there!

Merry Christmas!