Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hong Kong 360

I'm in Hong Kong now and am thrilled to be in this magnificent city of skyscrapers. This trip just keeps getting better and better every day--it's way better than I expected it would be and I am so grateful I have the opportunity to be here. I have only been in Hong Kong about 12 hours and I can already tell you I could totally live here. Actually, I felt that way about Ho Chi Minh City, too, but Hong Kong really does feel like home (maybe that's because of where I've been and I'm reacting well to the familiarity of English and chocolate ice cream.) Hong Kong is absolutely beautiful. I took advantage of the sunny day and after checking into my hotel headed immediately to Victoria Peak to get a 360 degree view of the island.

At the Peak, I chatted a bit with a British man who recommended a few "must dos" while I'm here. Since then, I've noticed that everywhere I go there are Brits and I find that very charming. You either hear Chinese or British English spoken and there is something delightful about the juxtaposition of those two languages. There is a beautiful walkway around the top of the mountain which I have now added to my list of most favorite places to visit. They say it's a romantic night walk, but I'll have to save that for the next time I come. :) I was thoroughly content watching the boats and the hawks catch the wind. In this picture below you can only see one, but he had at least five friends that I could see.

Everytime I download pictures from my camera, I'm disappointed that they don't capture the beauty of these places I'm visiting. Truly, Hong Kong is one of the most beautful city settings I've ever seen. The train ride into town from the airport was magnificent. I am totally loving it!!!

0 comments: