Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Streets of Saigon

8 million people. 4 million motorcycles. 13,000 motorcycle deaths last year alone. You've got to check this out. This is what I mean by crazy streets!

And it's these types of streets that you have to cross without the help of a crosswalk or light. Who knew that crossing the street could be such good aerobic exercise? :)

Oh yeah, it turns out that the only part of Ho Chi Minh City that looks anything like New York City is the part we drove through last night. Aside from the main city streets and the highway we traveled on today, the rest of the country has very few paved roads.

Today was a rather interesting day. We spent the morning at Saigon Cosmetics headquarters. We toured their production facility and presented some social media marketing ideas for them to consider. This afternoon we went out to the Intel site where they are building an enormous plant. $1 billion investment in Vietnam. That's a lot of money! We also listened to an attorney share his perspective about working to help establish the rule of law here. He's a really interesting gentleman who served in the U.S. Navy and after he got out (mid '60s) decided to stay in Vietnam rather than return home to the states. He's worked in Thailand, Malaysia, New York, and back to Vietnam. The lawyer and the gentleman from Intel both shared their perspectives as expats living in foreign countries with families, dealing with corruption in government, and the upsides to taking corporate assignments overseas.

Just as a side note, our professor has some hook ups in Ho Chi Minh City and the hotel we're in has free, reliable internet and they turn down your bed at night and give you a chocolate. That is SOOOOOO different from our other hotels, and a very nice respite from the 3rd world. Needless to say, after having used more than one toilet that required a manual addition of water to the bowl to mock flushing, it's a nice change of pace to be in a place where the beds aren't rock hard and the floors are clean. Still can't drink the water, but that's an easy adjustment to make when you're well rested.

Hmmm... what else can I share about today? I haven't said much about the food, but you all will be happy to know that I am known on the trip as the person who likes to take pictures of the food, especially the dishes and desserts that have interesting presentations. I laugh because that really would not come as a surprise to anyone who knows me, but since I didn't know any of the students on the trip before I came, none of them would know that. We've had some interesting things to eat, and for the most part I've fared well. I've tried most things, but I did pass on the Durian and the fried crickets, the roasted frogs and skewered whole fish. Almost all of our meals have been preset menus, so I have been able to try lots of things I normally wouldn't, just because I wouldn't order that many different dishes. Today I tried the fried pumpkin flower stuffed with prawn meat. And, I ate soup with chopsticks. Today our restaurant set the tables with only chopsticks. Ha! That motivated plenty of people to get better at eating with them. Dessert in all three countries has been a mixture of fresh fruits and assorted other things.... I say "things" because there has been a wide assortment of unique offerings, some of which I have enjoyed tasting, and some of which I haven't cared for at all. The desserts that use rice flour are crossed off my list. I can't handle the gummy texture... totally makes me want to gag. And there are plenty of other concoctions that are "traditional" and totally gross. In my opinion, they just don't do desserts well here.

You would laugh at my hair today. I straightened it this morning so it started out flat and smooth. At this point, it's big, poofy, and has lots of curl and body. I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. All I know is that in 90% humidity, my hair has a life and personality all of its own.

We have just one day left in the city and I'm a little sad. I don't feel like I've had near enough time here. Vietnam is a very interesting place. It's not really at all like I expected it would be and I love it!

2 comments:

Carolyn January 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

Looking forward to the video you bring home. The link for whatever clip you posted didn't work for me. It's a joy to read these blogs.

Cole Stoneman January 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

oh. my. gosh! that is the CRAZIEST thing I've EVER seen!

I seriously can't believe that.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your fun trip!